Designed for teachers who are already confident in subject knowledge up to GCSE level, the ‘teaching advanced GCSE computer science’ track will help those looking to improve student progress and attainment even further.
This CPD package will provide you the opportunity to develop your GCSE Computer Science knowledge leading towards recognised certification
. You'll be supported along the way by experienced teaching professionals, among a group of your peers. You'll participate in live face to face CPD and mentored online CPD on-demand.
By engaging with this CPD, you'll become confident in supporting students of GCSE computer science, including those currently studying the subject and the highest achievers. You'll take-away ready-to-use and successful teaching approaches from experienced teachers, supported by the latest research and evidence.
This CPD package includes three courses:
- Higher attainment in computer science: meeting the challenges of the exams
- Python programming: advanced subject knowledge, implementation and testing
- Python programming: analysis, design and evaluation
Who is it for?
This CPD is intended for teachers who are confident with their subject knowledge of the computing curriculum, up to GCSE level. It is anticipated you’ll have a secure understanding of how to program using Python.
How long is this course?
You’ll complete three courses from the Computer Science Accelerator programme, totalling approximately 15 hours, split across three days.
Online courses are also available free of charge, these are available to complete before, alongside or after the remote courses.
How will you learn?
Hands-on experiential learning with the collaborative support of your peers. Expert advice and instruction on the GCSE curriculum and the expectations of a computer science teacher, from experienced classroom practitioners.
By the end of this CPD track / package you will be able to:
Higher attainment in computer science: meeting the challenges of the exams:
- Develop a secure understanding of the assessment processes at GCSE level
- Gain experience of threshold concepts and how these can be firmly embedded in the curriculum to support student understanding
- Examine interleaving teaching and retrieval strategies that could be adopted within their own practice
- Develop a secure understanding of how to structure different exam style questions to fully support the needs of all students
Python programming: advanced subject knowledge, implementation and testing:
- Understand how to implement advanced programming techniques within a working solution i.e. authentication, nested selection & iteration
- Learn the importance of the implementation and testing stages of the software development life cycle
- Understand the differences between iterative and final testing, including the different types of test data normal, boundary and erroneous
Python programming: analysis, design and evaluation:
- Learn how to apply abstraction and decomposition to a programming project during the analysis and design phases
- Understand how to create suitable algorithms to represent a design to a solution
- Develop confidence in leading your students as they develop their programming skills